Oklahoma City Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
As gas prices continue to rise, more and more motorcycles are on the road. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that 2008 was the eleventh year in a row that the number of motorcycle fatalities increased. 5,290 motorcyclists were killed in 2008 and an additional 100,000 were injured. It is estimated that there are over 8 million motorcyclists on the road and yet only 20 states have laws that require helmet use by all motorcyclists. Head injuries are the leading cause of death in motorcycle collisions. Helmets do save lives and yet studies have shown that only 50% of motorcyclists wear a helmet.
Motorcyclists face a number of risk factors that do not affect drivers of motor vehicles. Motorcyclists have decreased stability and a much lower level of occupant protection. There is no physical barrier between the motorcyclist and the other motor vehicles on the road. Additionally, a motorcycle is less visible to motorists than a car or a truck. If you or a loved one is involved in a motorcycle accident, it is important to know what to do:
- If you are injured, seek immediate medical attention for your injuries.
- File a police report to document the crash.
- Obtain information from anyone who was involved in the accident.
- Identify any witnesses and obtain their contact information.
- Take photos of the scene of the accident and write down everything you can remember.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident without permission from law enforcement.
- Notify your insurance company, but do not make a statement or admit fault.
- Do not accept any type of settlement.
- Contact The Maples Law Firm so that you will know your legal rights.
If another party is shown to be negligent and this negligence led to your collision, you may be entitled to recover damages for all medical bills, lost wages, property damage (repair or replacement of your bike and equipment), pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of quality of life, and punitive damages. Punitive damages are not compensatory but are intended to punish, or to deter future behavior of the negligent party .
If you or a loved one has been a victim of a motorcycle accident, it is important to hire a skilled Oklahoma traffic accident lawyer very soon after an accident -- within the first week; important physical evidence can be lost and witnesses may become hard to find. Contact Ray Maples for a free initial consultation and we will promptly investigate the crash, determine fault, and start work to recover all damages.Call us toll-free any time, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at (888) 226-6159. If you are from Oklahoma City, you can also call (405) 551-8864.
We also have a personal injury intake form that you can fill out. Our attorneys and staff return all correspondence quickly.